These lemon and poppy seed muffins are seriously yummy! They’re a hybrid of lemon and banana in flavour, and have a nice consistency. They’re also free of gluten - in replacement of wheat flour they contain a nifty ingredient called coconut flour, which is basically powered dried coconut.
Thanks to our nutritionist Danijela for sharing this recipe with us. For more on Danijela head to her website here.
LEMON POPPY SEED MUFFINS
1/2 cup coconut flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1/4 cup runny honey
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
4 free-range eggs
1/2 medium/1 small super ripe banana, mashed
1 medium lemon, zest and juice
1 tbsp poppy seeds
1 cup milk of choice
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Line a muffin tray with 8 standard sized muffin cases. Grate lemon zest and juice lemon, keep aside.
2. Add coconut flour and baking powder to a large mixture bowl. Mix together.
3. In another bowl, whisk together coconut oil, honey, vanilla essence, eggs and mashed banana.
4. Add the two mixtures together and mix until smooth. Fold through the milk with a spatula. The mix will start quiet liquid and runny, but watch as it start to thicken - that's the coconut flour!
5. Add the zest, juice and poppy seeds, and fold into mixture.
6. Divide the mixture between muffin cases.
7. Bake in the oven for around 40 minutes or until a fork comes out clean when inserted.
Additions: nice iced with a lemony cream cheese and sprinkled with poppy seeds.